Saturday, January 16, 2010

IS IT MY BATTLE TO FIGHT?

In search of solid answers for the questions that arise about how a good and loving God can allow evil and afflictions to occur when He could stop so much of the pain in this world, I write the following thoughts as I made my way through Edith Schaeffer's book "Afflictions." These thoughts in no way, reflect the strength or non-strength of my personal beliefs. However, they are questions that arose as I read this book, and over the years, I have been approached by both non-Christians and Christians who ask these same questions. What are concrete answers to these issues? Are there any concrete answers? I invite your comments below and dialogue.

In chapter two the issue of a battle between Satan and God is addressed in reference to our sufferings here on earth. Some thoughts on the matter follows:

Mankind is in the middle of a battle between Satan and God as the avenue through which Satan can hurt God directly because mankind is so closely tied to God Himself, in that God breathed into man His own breath, giving Him life, creating man in His own image.

Edith Schaeffer, in her book Afflictions, refers to only Christians in this battle. Are non-Christians then exempt from this engaging warfare? If all mankind have been created in God's image, this means each person has been given life, God-breathed.

God, as Creator, with foreknowledge, purposefully created mankind, placing them purposefully in the middle of a battle without giving them a choice. The only choice we find is in the Garden of Eden, when Adam and Eve made the choice to bring sin into the world. God continues to purposefully create life knowing they will be placed in the middle of a battle for which they did not request or even wish. I do not know about anyone else, but if I had the choice to join a war or remain anonymous, I think I would choose the latter. I do not know anyone who is willing to be created for the sole purpose of being used as a means for one being to directly hurt another. I was not humanly planned or thought of all throughout the history of the world, until I made my appearance. I was nothing. God created me out of nothing. Yes, the natural elements are used to create life by other living beings, but my existence was not conceived in the plans of others until my arrival. God, however knew from before the beginning of time that my life would be created and that He would create it, knowing full well I would not be given a choice to engage in the middle of a battle that appears to not be mine to fight. And yet, God holds me responsible for choices I make in the middle of this battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment